" I now begin to know what happiness it is to live and die a Redemptorist. Oh, let us love our vocation and strive to persevere in it! "
Bl Francis Xavier Seelos C.Ss.R
  • main
  • main2
  • main3
  • main4
  • main5
  • main6
  • main7
  • main8
  • main9
  • main12
  • main14
  • main15
  • main16
  • main17
  • main19
  • main20
  • vocations7
  • CSsR Voc Pic

Bishop St Alphonsus - 250 years ago...

On the 20th June 1762, 250 years ago,

St. Alphonsus Liguori was ordained a bishop.

Fr General offers us this letter to help us reflect and think.

Here is a section of the letter:

In his biography, Fr. Rey-Mermet quotes from a letter written by his confessor about a month after Alphonsus‟ Episcopal Consecration: 

salfonso

Everyone admires his tireless energy, his great patience…

and his big heart in giving audience to even the most insignificant person.

He is always ready to go down to the Church to hear peoples' confessions or go to the parlor to listen to them.

He will go anywhere if his presence will help. He is an untiring preacher… (p. 539) 

Fr General also quotes St. Alphonsus who says:

My beloved brothers, I am certain that Jesus Christ is looking most lovingly on our small Congregation which is the apple of his eye.

Experience has proven that he continues to make us worthy of being instruments of his glory in many countries, multiplying his graces.

I shall not see it because my death is not far off but I am firmly confident that our small flock will continue to grow, not in riches and honors, but in the promotion of the glory of God. By our work Jesus Christ will be better known and loved by other men and women. (p. 607)